Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The boys are leaving...

We have been wrapping up this week, which basically involves cleaning absolutely everything. We aren't finished yet, but there is still some time for Jeff and I. The boys, as I call them, Ty and Bryce, are leaving today and I'm sad to see them go. Like the galley Mom I have become this summer, I keep making all their favorite foods from the summer. We have had the full chicken fried steak dinner, smoothies, French toast, more smoothies, burritos and lastly today, chile cornbread casserole from Ma's recipes. I will make sure they have sandwiches for the train tonight.

I knew the season would end, but I didn't realize it would happen so fast. They are such good guys and they have taught me so much. There's Ty, our engineer, who makes us laugh with his razor sharp wit. Even when he's in a good mood, he sounds grumpy. Bryce, our deckhand, balances our crew out with his easy going manner and willingness to touch (and sometimes eat) almost anything that came out of the salmon pump. All of us led by our Captain and my wonderful husband, who kept us on track and had fun right along with us. Quick to laugh and infinitely patient is how I would begin to describe our Skipper and leader. We all know that none of this was possible without Jeff.

I have more stories to share, and lots of photos and videos. Please keep checking in and as I finish writing, I will post them. I can't sum up all that these men have taught me in this little blog. I have said before that I'm blessed to have had this opportunity. That remains true as I think of my crew mates, Ty and Bryce. Thank you boys.

Well shit, I realize how sappy this sounds, and I'm actually getting all choked up just thinking about saying goodbye. But the season is over and everyone has to move on to what is next for them. Before they go, I will try to let them know how grateful I am and that I wish them all the best this year. Hopefully we can do this again next year. It would be my pleasure.

- Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment