Thursday, May 21, 2015

The beginnings of the 2015 season

We just arrived in Seattle and went straight to the Silver Dolphin. When I saw her mast from the road, the goose bumps rose on my skin. Another season on this beautiful boat and I am already giddy with excitement. Sure, we have more time in shipyard and there is lots of work to do, but the thrill of the season makes everything seem doable. The dust, welders, and mess of shipyard cannot dampen the feeling I have when I step on board. It is hard to describe - it's the beginning of an adventure.

Even after the red eye flight from Honolulu with two screaming babies and very little sleep, I feel alive and awake on this boat surrounded by other boats, all getting busy for the salmon season. Perhaps it is the grinders constantly buzzing that adds to the anticipation. Whatever it is, there is a palpable sense of purpose and a pull to get out of the harbor, through the locks and head to Alaska. For myself, I cannot wait.
Joanna at Fishermen's Terminal, May 21, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment