Wednesday, June 10, 2015

STILL sitting on anchor

We are STILL ON ANCHOR in Larsen Bay. It has been one week and we continue to wait and wait and wait. Here is our view:

the view from the boat of the cannery
We are waiting for the fish to come in.  The opener has been extended and we may be here for a few more days. 

Most important, my Dad had open heart surgery this morning - a valve and artery replaced successfully. We have been anxiously waiting for news all morning. It's good news because it went well and he is under observation in the cardiac ward at Presbyterian Hospital. He has a nurse dedicated to taking care of only him. My Mom is taking some time to rest. It all looks good. What a relief.

No one can prepare you for the helplessness and isolation of working on a boat and being hell and gone from everything. It is almost indescribable and beyond frustrating. It's closer to infuriating but with no outlet. We are trapped here. And if I needed to get home, it would take at least 24 hours and cost several thousand. Being away from the people Jeff and I love is by far the hardest part of this job. I think Jeff is more accustomed to this after 19 years as a fisherman, but I am not. 

My love to my family. I'm thinking of them and I may be far away but I am with them with all my heart. 
Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment