Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Butter and Bacon Make it Better (BBMB)

Hello all! We have had a great couple of days. The boat was in port for 36 hours while we waited to unload over 400,000 lbs at the processor. The opener brought in over 1.7 million lbs for this cannery from what I heard.

Breakfast is a challenge. I'm not much of a morning person, especially on rainy cloudy days like today. My breakfast skills are improving, but I end up making scrambled eggs too frequently. A returned to a favorite - my mother's quiche. It was a hit again. This time I sautéed the mushrooms with butter and a little garlic, then let cool before putting it in with turkey, spinach and bacon bits. Pour the eggs and milk on top and then layer with cheese. Yum. It's just time consuming to make. Jeff gets impatient and won't wait for it to set.

That was just the beginning of my rainy day cooking adventures because after that, I baked a cake! Granted, it was out of a box, and for the purists and real bakers out there you may turn your nose up at my achievement. But I don't care. It was quiet an adventure for me. Most notably, when I turned on the mixer, I immediately felt like a little kid. It was as if I was transported back to my grandmother's kitchen and she was showing me how to use a mixer without spraying the batter everywhere. Great memories that the sounds and smells brought back to me in a flash. I may not have taken up cooking until someone hired me to do it, but what the women in my life taught me is percolating to the top now. I am grateful.

We left Saw Mill and headed back up to Valdez for tomorrow's 6 am to 8 pm opener. All of the best to you all. Here's tonight's photo:



This is actually in Dutch Harbor at the beginning of our trip.

Posted from my iPad

Location:Crab Bay in Saw Mill Bay, Prince William Sound, Alaska

1 comment: