Thursday, August 1, 2013

A new month - August begins

I haven't written in a while and I am short on words. There is no sufficient way to describe events since my last post. Just part of the job. I will try and show you because words fail me recently. 


Hiking to wade in a glacial lake. 


Isn't she beautiful? Great credit to her owners for keeping her in top condition. Not easily accomplished! We take care of her for the summer with pleasure. 

It's been a time of changes and adventure. Our family said good bye to the Quarters on the west side. Yale is open, so you can still get your fix of BBQ and pick up a bottle of wine. 

Much love to our families. As always. 

Chilling at Baranof Warm Springs the water is actually more blue:

 We are working and playing hard. 

Several folks have mentioned to us how lucky we are, living in Hawaii and working in Alaska. I agree with the sentiment and get what they are saying about how sweet it is. Absolutely.  

At the same time, the word lucky gives me pause. I actively sought out and created the life I live today. There were plenty of hard times and sacrifices, but it was worth it to me to make it work.  When my husband and I married, we became a team that continues to define our relationship, goals and values while living this life of adventure and logging lots of airport hours. 

We have had wonderful support from family that help make it work and we miss them terribly. Because along with this life, there are sacrifices. Hawaii isn't all sunsets and rainbows anymore than Alaska is.  We are far away and miss family and friends. There are big events like closing a store or a missing dog and we are so far away and not able to be there to support or help. Someone took my grandfathers little dog Sandy out of his car while he was shopping at the grocery store. 

Who takes a 90 year old man's dear companion?!?!? These are the times when it is hard to be so far away. I get homesick for my family and friends no matter where they live.

We miss out on the little things too like the everyday tennis game or dip in the pool. 


So I don't feel lucky to live this life. I feel blessed and proud. As my niece Isa has in her byline  - in a world where you can be anything, be yourself. 

Will do, Isa. No problem. 
Aloha. 

3 comments:

  1. I love you! Loved this post - and yes, you shoud be proud of the life you lead because you ran after it!!! Love you Nana!!! Be you - ALWAYS! (After all, you are great!). Next time you wanna log airport time you should consider going a little further south to come see me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post-- thanks for sharing!

    Nice boat! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post-- thanks for sharing!

    Nice boat! ;-)

    ReplyDelete