Thursday, August 29, 2013

Salmon wrapping up... next season starting

It has been a dramatic 24 hours. We went from wrapping up and getting ready to head back to Hawaii as earlier as next week to starting a new contract in a few days that may take us into the first week of October.  This has taken some scrambling to figure out, but I am happy to report that we will continue working!

As soon as they release us from salmon tendering, we are going to drive the Silver Dolphin to Dutch Harbor and tender pollack.  This is essentially the same work, but with some key differences. We will be working out of Dutch and may encounter slightly larger seas and cooler weather. Don't worry, this is nothing like winter fishing out of Dutch, that is way out of this greenhorn's league. We will also be a 3 person crew, so my duties on deck will increase and I will still do the cooking and help with the distance driving. Looking forward to throwing heaving lines, tying up boats and getting dirty! I am sure I will want to eat those words on cold rainy days, but for now, its got me excited for this next adventure.

It's strange how things work, because I was getting excited to get back home, settle into our new place, and spend some quality time with our cat and friends. Looking forward to driving a car again, walking the beach and playing tennis.  But, that will need to wait a bit longer because we are blessed with work.  This is something I learned from my Yia Yia, my father and then the recession brought home in sharp relief - work is a blessing, when you have it, don't you dare take it for granted! Instead, work your ass off. If you are having a hard time, shut up and work harder. Alaska is no place for whiners, although I have encountered a few. I will do my best to live up to the standards set by my grandparents as my parents have, and do a good job for my Skipper.

More to come and thanks for checking out my blog. Hot Greasy Mess is a fun way to stay in touch and share little pieces of this amazing experience. Connectivity limits what I can post, but sometimes YouTube is a good place to check out my videos.

All our best to everyone!
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment